Tuesday, May 13, 2014

Oh What It Is To Be Green

Continuing with the flooring theme from yesterday… here is a quick update on where we stand (or should I say lay?) with the floor installation.

This is the view from the kitchen, looking through the dinning room, foyer and into the living room. (Ooing and Ahhing are appropriate)

This is Frances Harper's room, but this is how the whole rest of the house looks outside of the dinning room, living room and foyer.

They got about half of the floors installed yesterday. They should finish installing them today.  To help them move quickly, Michael and I cut the air conditioner on when we went over yesterday evening. Or, they will at least be more comfortable as they crawl around on their knees (which is never a fun way to spend your time). 

Now, moving onto what I am working on this week. As you may remember, we had to remove all of the base boards and door jambs in preparation for the flooring (you may read about that here). We will re-install the trim once the floors are done, and we will also take this opportunity to put crown molding in many of the areas that do not have it (kitchen, living room, master bedroom… the list gets shorter the further into this I go). 

Michael and I were fortunate because my dad had  a bunch of crown molding that he was not using (it was scrap from a previous job because there was a mix-up on what color it should be stained). This has saved us the expense of buying trim! YAY!! So our crown molding will require the same investment as the other trim in the house-- time and paint costs. Time is what I am investing in the trim this week. 

ALL the trim has to be sanded (so that we can paint it).

I have sanded the left side of the board in the middle of the picture.

I have completed about 1/20 of the all the trim. Sanding is not hard, but because I am pregnant I have to wear a face mask (which is no fun), and I constantly want to sit down. Some of you might be asking why I do not just leave the trim in the house stained. The answer is... the trim in the house is stained a greenish color. The picture below shows what I am talking about.


My succinct opinion is that this color is ugly. If your trim is stained any other color, I would encourage you to NOT go to the hassle of sanding and painting it. Or, do not be pregnant while you do it. But alas, my trim is puke green and must go. I hope your trim is not.  

Hope everyone is having a good week!





1 comment:

  1. That's so exciting! It already looks so different with just the floors being installed. Can't wait to see the progress next time I'm in Cumming.

    ReplyDelete