Wednesday, June 25, 2014

What!? Okay, I will go hide now.

We have all done it. Well, we have all at least heard the horror of someone else doing it. Ewww NO!, not that 'it'.  I am talking about uttering those words, "Oh, when is your baby due?" Only to be told in response, "What? I'm not pregnant." Then, you're engulfed by the feeling of wanting to die.

My friend Megan, asked her son's teacher when her baby was due. The teacher wasn't pregnant, and Megan had to see her pretty regularly when she dropped her son off at school. Their conversations were strictly school related after that. Could have been worse. Well, no not really… but, who doesn't lie to comfort a friend?

I made this dreaded  mistake when I worked at Patagonia. I asked a customer (who was moving to New Zealand), if she was moving before or after her baby was due. This comment was followed by "What?! I 'm not pregnant." This is probably the MOST embarrassing moment of my life. Keep in mind, I perspired so much in math class once in high school that it appeared I had wet my pants; bad, not just a slight damp spot. The teacher commented. That was HIGH SCHOOL, the most embarrassing time of life, and I had to walk around in the pants until they dried.

The pregnancy moment tops that. After I made this verbal fumble, I hid in the bathroom until the customer had left the store.

In light of this defining moment, I have been waiting for someone to ask me when my baby is due so that I can reply, "What? Oh, I am not pregnant." Mean? Probably, but I also think it would be really funny. I am sure my victim would laugh about it afterwards. Alas, I am running out of time. It would would be funny though.


No comments:

Post a Comment