Monday, June 2, 2014

Here We Come A Caulking Among The Leaves So Green...

Happy Monday! I know that a lot of people do not like Mondays, but when I worked in an office, Mondays were my favorite day of the work week. I was well rested, and I had forgotten all the stresses of last week. By Wednesday, I was ready for the week to be over. Monday was good though.

Moving on, I mentioned last week that I am working on some tedious tasks over at the new house. I am caulking trim. Caulking can be, and often is, messy and frustrating. The end result though makes the aggravations worth it. I spent an entire summer caulking one of my parent's rental properties. The house is over a hundred years old and instead of sheet rock the walls are individual boards. Each board had to be caulked. Just another example of fun times at the Thornton house. I comfort my self with
reassurances that this will not be that bad.

Here is a small tidbit of my work…


And here is a bit of what is left to be done…


There is more than just that bit yet to be done, but why focus on the negative? Doesn't the caulked trim look more finished than the un-caulked?

To keep morale high, I break my work up into hour long segments. I work for an hour, and then I go home. This helps me from becoming completely depressed about all of the caulking, and it gives the pregnant body a break from constantly being bent over -- most of what I am caulking is baseboards. For hoots and giggles, you can try bending over with a basketball in your shirt and give yourself heart burn. So, the work gets done one hour at a time. Slow? Yes, but it works for us. 

I am not going to include a tutorial about caulking because you basically just squeeze caulk onto a crack and smooth it out. Sounds easy. The reality of the the job is only revealed in the actual execution of these seemingly simple steps. So if the unknown appeals to you, feel free to go buy some caulk and give it a go. 

Have a great Monday!!!!


No comments:

Post a Comment